A Heritage for Generations to Come
The technologies developed by Milliken’s Chemical division represent a team of innovators that are focused on doing good. We are committed to meeting the needs of the present in a way that does not jeopardize the needs of the future, with environmentally sustainable practices that provide a better future for generations to come.
Therefore, Milliken & Company is committed to achieving sustainable development by eliminating waste and promoting alternative energy sources all along the supply chain, while building a safe and secure future for our associates and our community — locally and globally.
Milliken's Global Environmental Policy
Milliken’s Environmental Policy, adopted in November 1990, established a goal of zero waste for all our departments. Our goal is the elimination, rather than reduction, of all solid waste, hazardous wastes, and emissions. This policy guides environmental decision-making and calls for preferring all other means of disposal before using the landfill. To date, the company diverts 99% of all of the company’s waste away from landfills and to places where it could be re-used or recycled. In addition, we actively seek and use alternative energy to power our manufacturing plants, such as methane gas produced by local landfills.
- Our environmental policy is reviewed with associates and posted in all locations
- Cross-functional teams at each location are empowered to implement ways to reduce consumption and increase reuse and recycling of resources.
- Associates are educated and trained in courses ranging from 4 hours to 4 days in length
- A computerized system collects and tracks our environmental data. This data is analyzed and reviewed quarterly by management
Carbon Negative Footprint
The Milliken family of companies has been certified with the global carbon negative status by the respected Leonardo Academy through their Cleaner and Greener® Program — a status we earned without purchasing carbon credits.
This "carbon negative" certification means we capture and offset more carbon dioxide than our global operations emit. In fact, we actually offset 5 times more CO2 than we create globally — more than 5 million metric tons of it every year. We have achieved this through a combination of deliberate and rigorous business practices which includes:
- Capturing CO2 through the sustainable management of more than 130,000 acres of trees in Milliken forests
- Offsetting emissions through the use of renewable energy
- Reducing emissions through an energy management system that includes energy audits and conservation