Reputation of Sustainability
Milliken & Company defines sustainable operations. We are passionate about protecting our environment. We are committed to strive for a goal of zero waste generation in all media — land, air, and water — to be achieved by continually improving all of our operations. This goal guides the conduct of our manufacturing operations, the development of new products, and our interaction with our suppliers and customers. Over the years, our formal policy has not changed, and its bold, unwavering simplicity has driven us to achieve a sustainability model not often benchmarked by others in the industry:
- Carbon negative manufacturing — Because of our stewardship of 138,000-acres of forest land and use of renewable energy sources, the Milliken family of companies has been certified with the global carbon negative status by the respected Leonardo Academy through their Cleaner and Greener® Program — a status we earned without purchasing carbon credits.
- Reduction of water use by 65% — Since 1991, we have cut our actual water consumption by over 3 billion gallons. Our overall eco-footprint has also been reduced by 43%.
- Production of truly green, truly sustainable energy — Milliken has actively pursued renewable energy by operating a small hydroelectric plant near our Spartanburg headquarters and by having boilers that produce clean energy from biosolids and landfill gas.
- Environmentally friendly products — We have put our energies to work on technologies that help protect the environment over the course of their product lifespan. Products like Millad® Clarifying Agents replace polystyrene and glass, making them easy to recycle. Our liquid colorants are water soluble and contain no toxic materials or heavy metals. Our packaging division promotes recyclable packaging substrates and encourages reducing waste through portion control.
- UL validated label — The energy-saving benefits of Millad® NX™ 8000 for polypropylene have been validated by the independent organization Underwriters Laboratories (UL). Millad NX 8000 provides improved aesthetics at significantly lower processing temperatures resulting in lower energy consumption, shorter cycle time and improved productivity.
Created in a Sustainable Environment
At Milliken, we've made it our business to think long-term. We not only manufacture sustainable products — we create them in a sustainable environment, too. Here are some statistics about Milliken that we're proud of:
- The only carbon negative textile and chemical manufacturer in the world
- Zero landfill waste generated at any of our manufacturing plants since 1999
- Our hydroelectric power plants produce green energy for local communities
- We've replaced at least 30% of our natural gas consumption with alternative energy sources (such as methane harvested from community landfills)
- Our headquarter campus is nestled within a nationally recognized arboretum
- Our manufacturing locations are certified to ISO 14001, the highest global standard for environmental responsibility